The RTU50 architecture is designed with a flexibility that allows users to configure Remote Terminal Units (RTUs) into many different configurations, solving many control system requirements. The same equipment, software and networks are used as building blocks to produce a fully integrated system based on the following concepts:
- Flexible I/O expansion from a single RTU50 to multiple chassis’ using user configuration utilities
- Analog, digital, or fiber-optic communications via multiple communications ports, each using different communications protocols.
- Intelligent I/O modules for high performance processing
- High speed peer-to-peer distributed automation over a dual-ring optical network
- Global database for the RTU network
- “Check-before-operate” security on all controls
- Applications Software Library for a wide range of control system applications